Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Not so deer

Caribou used to be Manitoba ... then Dictators growler "Handsome" Dick Manitoba's lawyers came a-calling. Dan Snaith, the main force behind Caribou, changed the name to something less tort-worthy and released Yeti under the new moniker. When I saw Manitoba - as they/he were then known - at Bluesfest I was really blown away by the two drummers. Second time around, I wasn't nearly as impressed. The two drummers thumping away in unison is still kind of cool, but a little less exciting when you see they've got their earbuds telling them what to do. It was also more obvious what was coming out of a backing track. To be honest, I thought the most interesting bits were the prerecorded parts. The show just wasn't "live" enough to engage me.

Dan Snaith, left, and touring guitarist Ryan Smith toot and slap.



The show has a large visual component; since Smith mostly stays at centre stage, he's right in the beam from the projection gear. I'd want sunglasses.



Peter Mitten drums (Snaith plays the other parts). The projected images are designed by Delicious 9.



The group - prerecorded folks not shown.



Dual strumming action - this is as live as it gets.



As I said, I was less than blown away ... but then I watched them the night after Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings and the night before I went to see Motorhead, so it might just be they were the musical equivalent of the neglected middle child.

No comments: