Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Songs in the key of Death

Death From Above 1979, the jihad-declaring, floor-rocking, beat-bumping Toronto duo came to Babylon to pump out some heavy duty riffs and get really, really muggy. This was not the sweatiest show I've ever been to, but it was damn close. "I feel like I'’m breathing air back through my underwear," was bassist Jesse F. Keeler's fulsome description.

The terrible two; Keeler and drummer-singer Sebastien Grainger:



Sebastien works the crowd.



A tap-tap here, a tap-tap there ...



When you've been on the road as long as DFA 1979, you learn how to drum with one hand and reach for a beer with another.



Back for the all-underwear encore!



The crowd certainly squished themselves up against the stage at this show - I think I saw soundman Justin clinging limpet-like to a monitor to stop the crowd from pushing it around (it was hard to tell in the crush).
  • Show reminder: The Stumblers stumble back into the spotlight at The Aloha.
  • Breaking news: I heard that the Expatriates were scheduled to play Maverick's on Sunday, but there's a post on punkottawa.com's message board saying Daydream Square, along with Fractal Pattern, Swingset Champion and The City of a Hundred Spires will be fuzzing the place up. Fractal Pattern does have a scheduled item in the shows section. I'd go either way ...

No comments: