Wednesday, July 13, 2005

From Cuba to Chicago

I returned from Ottawa Bluesfest; a huge crowd turned out for ZZ Top (no surprise, except to the few idiots who tried pushing the crowd to get to the front ... next time, come early, boneheads). David Gogo put on a really super opening set as well. But now we're going to flash back to Sunday ... First, Joe Bonamassa, seen here hamming it up for the camera along with his bassist, Eric Czar.



The last show I saw at the festival that day was Elmer Ferrer, grimacing mightily.



He also had a grimacing organist, Alexis Bosch and a not-so-grimacing bass player, Juan Pablo Dominguez.



Round that out with a pair of percussionists; here's Ahmed Mitchell on his kit. (And I just like to add that those rumours about under-the-table payments from bottled water manufacturers are completely unfounded!)



Jalidan Ruiz-Castro on hand drums.



I confess I split quickly; great musicians, but they weren't holding my attention. They play on the ADCN Stage again Thursday and on the Main Stage July 15, so I may give them another shot.
That said, the real treat of my day at the festival was seeing Carl Weathersby. He had a stroke a few years ago and was told he'd never play the blues again ... his record company and managers cut him loose. Of course, he's back on stage and had the pleasure of recording an album without "a bunch of people who knew how to be me better than me," as he put it. He cut it up live.

Here he is on stage ... behind him are guitarist Max (whose last name I didn't catch ... Vallejo, perhaps?) and Leon Smith, a cousin of Weathersby's.



The real fun came when Weathersby ran through the crowd.



He was certainly enjoying himself!



Later in the day he acted as support for Nora Jean Bruso. A big lady with a big voice.



Here's Weathersby and his bassist Juwan Scott (I make no guarantees of correct spelling in regard to his name, either).



A closeup of Smith.



Also on stage, harmonica savant Billy Branch; Weathersby did some time in Branch's Sons of the Blues. I do believe that's Mr. Kenny Neal on guitar.



Shout it out!



A super-dynamic stage act from all concerned.

No comments: