Sunday, March 19, 2006

Drawing power

I confess to feeling a bit ripped off, and simultaneously mildly intrigued. I think it's fair to say that most of Montreal violinist Dr. Draw's ouevre sits in my personal "I don't get it" category. On the other hand he does have a first rate group to accompany him, and it's always a pleasure to see a bunch of fine musicians at work. On the downside, neither Jokko nor The Polytones played. I'm not sure which group was actually supposed to put in an appearance, but whichever it was, an ill bassist prevented them from performing. I'll wish a speedy recovery to both bassists and post a few pictures of Draw and Co. right now.

Apparently Dr. Draw - a.k.a. Eugene Draw - has been known to breakdance on stage. I witnessed no breakdancing, though he did shred his bow.







Marie-Michele Beausoleil is the first harpist I've seen; you can't make it out in this picture, but she also has a wah-wah pedal.



Guitarist Pierre-Luc Rioux.



Top marks to fab drummer Marc ... definitely pulls off the wide-tie look, too.



Bassist "Frank the Tank"; I'd guess from the onstage repartee that he was responsible for getting the band to Ottawa in one piece.



Marie-Michelle close up.



A moment of contemplation.



The doctor in lights.





Sort-of rock action!







The inevitable group shot (the inevitable larger version).



They put on quite a show; made me wish it was more my thing. I bought a ticket to see French Toast tonight; I suspect I'll enjoy them more.

No comments: