Saturday, April 22, 2006

The bluest blue

Peterborough's Silver Hearts have a malleable membership - when I saw them at Bluesfest they had 12 members; at Barrymore's that had nine (and a couple of friends) - most notably they were without guitarist Trevor "Tiny" Davis and oddball trombonist Tom Reader. I've seen them with a saw player (whose name escapes me, sorry), she too was absent. But that is the nature of the Hearts, and they got along just fine at their CD release party at Barrymore's last night.

Keyboardist Charlie Glasspool on trumpet, keyboards and gurning.



Brian Sanderson has expanded from the sousaphone to fiddle, vocals, and a miniature horn.



Patrick Walsh, looking sodden with drink as usual.



Jesse Pilgrim, on theremin.



Kelly Pienault on accordion, and frequent lead vocals.



The band's preternaturally Tom Waitsian bassist also plays bass and banjo - contrary to an earlier version of this post that declared he might be Dave Tough/Tuff, it is in fact Sam Allison.



Mikey Begin, guitarist (and steel guitar chap).



Their other guitarist, Wyatt Burton.



Drummer Paul Vernon, in my traditional lousy drummer shot.



As mentioned earlier, Andre Ethier has joined forces with The Silver Hearts - here he is rocking it revival style.



They had another guest: Matthias Kom, who sang his song comparing love to monster trucks, etc. in a duet with Charlie.



As befits a CD release party, there were balloons. The band also splurged on glowing eyeglasses.



It's never a bad time to raise the roof.



I hate microphone stands in general, and this one in particular!



Lyrics consultation action!



Everybody sing!



Sing!!



Siiiiing!!!



Siiiiiiiiiiiiing!!!!!



And some group action!









Everybody makes 10!



I took so many pictures I'm sure I've missed a couple of good ones - but if I go searching through all 257 pictures I snapped I'll never get this post up ... and I have Supersuckers and Muffler Crunch/Fucking Machines shows to get to tonight.
  • Show reminder: In addition to the aforementioned bill at Zaphod's and The Dominion, respectively, Clit 45, Trioxin 245 and The Visitors play Cafe Dekcuf ... The Sweet Janes were on the bill but a last-minute drummer shortage has forced them to rock out on Sunday instead at Mavericks with The Meathookers. Fembots and The John Henrys play the Black Sheep Inn.

No comments: