Friday, April 21, 2006

Hello, young lovers

I first encountered Young and Sexy when the folks at Pennyblackmusic.com sent me a copy of the band's second album, Life Through One Speaker. I love that Beach Boys via Belle and Sebastien Stuff (one reason why Saturday looks Good To Me is another of my favourite bands), and eagerly sought out their first album, Stand Up For Your Mother. Considering that their website lands on top of a Google search, they must have plenty of other fans, too - just not so many in Ottawa. They put on quite an able performance. Vocally, they were just what I'd hope. Good musicians, too, though I can't say I blame singer Lucy Brain for saying that the band's two guitarists would be getting tuning pedals for Christmas ... anyway, here are pictures and double entendres.

Paul Pittman; some of the band's frisson is derived from a since-ended relationship with Ms. Brain.



Bassist Brent McDonald holds the bottom ... end.



Guitarist Andre Lagace in the red light district.



Lucy Brain, the lady in red.



Brain's brother Alex.



And now a bunch of group action shots.









Two Brains are better than one.



Andre shows off his moves at set's end.





The crowd goes wild! Hello? Crowd? Where are you, damn it?!?



They also played Grateful Dead's Box of Rain ("Are there any Grateful Dead fans in the house? ... no, I didn't think so.") and Neil Young's Cowgirl in the Sand. Well, there were a couple dozen people there for a good show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

re: Audience MIA. I find this is more common at Zaphod's than any other venue in the city. Young and Sexy should have probably gotten a better turn out but I really think there's been a kink in Zaphods' promotion engine for years and it's really too bad.

A.C. said...

As someone who's on the receiving end of Zaphod's promo, I don't think they do such a bad job ... (and Y&S did get an article in XPress). My own theory is that they suffered more from Grizzly Bear and Final Fantasy playing at the Black Sheep (though for all I know a handful made it out to that show, too - anyone want to let me know what the turnout there and at Irene's was?) and just generally not getting their due.