Friday, July 07, 2006

Flight of the navigator

I expected to fully enjoy My Dad vs Yours, Born Ruffians, Henri Faberge and The Adorables and Relief Maps at Zaphod Beeblebrox, and brother was I ever not disappointed. I knew I'd like My Dad Vs. Yours since I've seen them on a few occasions, and I've had a hankering to hear Relief Maps ever since I saw them at the End Hits CHUO basement benefit. That both Henry Faberge and Co. and Born Ruffians put on such dynamite sets was like having another full meal on top of the gravy.

I only caught one full song from Relief Maps, but as before I like what I heard; unfortunately I left guitarist Luke Duross out of this snap, but he'll show up later.



Henri Faberge (the chap in the striped shirt) and several of his half-dozen Adorables. Maylee Todd is handling the vocals in this shot. You can expect many photos of rambunctious behaviour on stage and off - this lot is half band, have wrestling match. I'm not sure if I'd recommend them to fans of Anathallo or Saturday Looks Good to Me first.



Luke shifts into frontman mode after his stint as a trombone-toting Adorable with The Born Ruffians. I could say Jonathan Richman, Wire, Talking Heads and run off another dozen post-punk and post-rock outfits, but these guys definitely have their own thing going on.



Yes, the lighting is wrong, the shutter speed is wrong, you can't see anyone's face, there's a microphone stand right in the middle and there's a guitarist missing in this picture of My Dad Vs. Yours. On the plus side, I like the colours.



In a word: Superb.

1 comment:

dial613 said...

agreed, that was hands down the best bill I've seen at zaphod's this summer (but i missed relief maps, too)
h.f. & the adorables were a really really nice surprise