Tuesday, July 18, 2006

In a trance

I've seen bits and pieces of Otis Taylor at previous Bluesfests. He'd be on stage and I'd be passing by on my way to see something else. But a cool summer breeze and several hundred watts of amplification blew some of his music my way as I was walking down Lisgar (once again on my way someplace else) and I decided to check him out the following day. Backed by his bass-playing daughter Cassie, mandolin player Nick Amodeo and guitarist Jack Hadley, he put on a superb show. Cuban flautist Maraca also showed up for an excellent guest performance.

Either on guitar or banjo, Taylor has the trance blues down stone cold.





Cassie Taylor on bass and chewing gum.



Amodeo.



Hadley tears it up.



Family action!



Cassie also sang a song about the reaction some people have to learning she's Taylor's daughter - though the family relation seems pretty clear to me.



Hadley lays down some steel on the last number.



Blues action!





Maraca guest action!



A super set, including a really out there version of Hey Joe alongside Taylor's ace originals.

No comments: