Sunday, November 19, 2006

Planes, trains and autoerotica

I pulled a doubleheader on Saturday. I've wanted to catch Jetplanes of Abraham ever since I missed their show opening for Islands (a show where I also missed the headliners, but that's a whole other story ...) (EDIT: Which may explain why I thought they were Islands; in fact as has been pointed out it was The Lovely Feathers. Well, at least Duchess Says were good). Events have conspired to keep me away - but no longer! I saw them and a pair of other fine acts at Zaphod's before skipping next door to the Dominion Tavern for a country-fried CKCU benefit.

First Boo Hoo - a trio from Montreal.



Next, a very energetic performance from The Ghost is Dancing - another one of those indie-rock collectives. Eight members, six of whom made the trip to Bytown for this set.



And finally Jetplanes of Abraham, who rounded out the material on their debut CD with a song written just the day before. Numerous blogs have been singing their praises, and Zaphod's was packed.



The Dominion has a fine turnout for their CKCU benefit. I caught Steve Fai's last four or five songs. Excellent as always.



Next up David Picco. I know Woody Whelan of Mag Wheel has excellent taste, and figured his latest signing would be good, but I was really very impressed. It didn't hurt that Picco sounds a bit like Mark Lanegan, one of my all-time faves.



Finally Lefty McRighty and the Boxcar Cadavers finished things off with a night of genitalia-themed countrypunk.



A full night's entertainment, that's for sure!

2 comments:

Calum Marsh said...

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain Jetplanes never opened for Islands. Maybe you're thinking of Lovely Feathers or Most Serene Republic?

A.C. said...

Ah, that's right! It was the lovely Feathers.