Thursday, December 07, 2006

Sleeping with the dead

Last night at Mavericks offered an interesting quartet of acts. First, Dr. Wily and The Robot Masters. This young foursome plays instrumental metal versions of Nintendo soundtracks. I never played enough to Nintendo to recall any of their theme songs so perhaps that's just a leg pull. But I doubt it.



Next up, Sleeping Pilot, the only band with vocals that evening, and the band most likely to have members fall over one another.



I was particularly impressed with instrumental combo Maserati; to me they sound like a less aggressive Pelican, or perhaps a more volatile Mono.



Finally Zombi closed the night off - because of their association with Relapse, they're sometimes tagged to as a metal band. I imagine they appeal more to fans of Goblin. They take their name from the Dario Argenta film Goblin soundtracked, so I'm sure it's not a comparison they'd duck. Phaedra-era Tangerine Dream may figure in there as well.



They were cool, but work better on headphones, I'd say.
  • Show reminder: The Sick Fits perform a short-notice show at Irene's with Paul Fenton, producer of their upcoming CD; The Soiree, Flotilla and Acres play Zaphod Beeblebrox.

No comments: