Friday, June 15, 2007

By Jupiter!

It seems like there was a whole lot of country-rocking going on at West Fest last Sunday. Unfortunately I missed most of it - I had a busy day, and was distracted in the evening by a phantom Zoobombs show (pity, a coworker told me Fiftymen put on the best performance he's seen by them). On the bright side, I did catch a fab set by The Jupiter Ray Project, a band I confess had barely been on my radar screen prior to a recent Irene's gig I was invited too but missed. They have two albums out - the latest is last year's Morrison Heights - and as I observed earlier put on a sweet-sounding show.

Shannon Ross dispenses with the guitar for some chanteuse action.



Hmm, I thought I had a solo pic of Jack Pelletier - well, here he is with fiddler Michael Ball.



Bassist Chris Breitner.



Peter von Althen - I last saw him drumming for Trevor Alguire at the now-defunct Bayou. He's best known for his work in Starling, and is in that band's direct descendant, The Hundreds and Thousands.



The whole lot! And a bit of the audience.





Michael plays some thoughtful mandolin.



Singalong action!







Eyebrow-raising action!



Offspring on stage (that's Peter's son Max, on hand to play some shaker).





Big finish!



They play the Dragon Boat Festival June 23, about 2 p.m., and will also perform at Andy Haydon Park August 12.

No comments: