Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Couples night

Well that was a fruitful night of watching duos and dodging snow-clearing machinery. I got in the door at Mavericks a bit before 9 p.m. and Ennuie got on stage shortly after. I'm sometimes unsure as to whether Luca and Ivana are playing in time, or even the same song at the same time, but I think I'm starting to get a handle on it. Toronto electro-dance pop groovers Woodhands were on stage next. "It's couples night!" keytar maestro Dan Werb observed, and indeed every band on stage was a duo for this occasion. This meant drummer Paul Banwatt had to "sing like a girl" after rapping since Maylee Todd was back in Toronto, but so be it. Then Handsome Furs came up and rocked it. I like Dan Boeckner's crunchy guitar stuff a lot, and his wife Alexei Perry plays a table full of electronics like a pinball fanatic in love with the tilt sign. They finished off with a cover of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers' You Got Lucky. I really wish I had my camera on hand for the set, but it's still down in Mississauga, so I'll just have to leave you with a photo of Boeckner at Barrymore's with his other band, Wolf Parade.



Incidentally, Ennuie is playing again at Zaphod's January 25.

No comments: