Thursday, January 03, 2008

Stab and go

There was a good crowd when I walked into Zaphod Beeblebrox a few hours ago. I was expecting no more than a handful, but it looked like about three dozen people showed up to catch openers Sam Slick. They call themselves "Hardcore-influenced pop punk." They sounded more like pop-punk influenced hardcore to me. Gagner followed that with a goofy but entertaining set. Think of the most bombastic moments of Weezer with some Primus and Red Hot Chili Peppers thrown in. I think my sense of humour is a few ounces to dry to enjoy their act as much as the rest of the audience, but it was decent. I'd also suggest that if you want to wear rather careworn "grass" skirts on stage you shouldn't wear boxers under them. There was poppage (maybe it's a good thing I don't have my camera back). Stabby Dancers finished the night off. A really solid rhythm section (including a just-drafted drummer with very good beat-boxing skills) and some choice, heavily flanged guitarwork.

No comments: