Thursday, August 07, 2008

Trees lounge

Orchestra Baobab have gone through many a change since Pirate's Choice made them legends beyond their African stomping grounds. They broke up in the 1980s as the rise of harder styles pushed their sophisticated African pop to the sidelines, but now they're back with a bunch of old hands, some fresh blood and some new recorded work. I'm not 100% sure of the IDs for this show - the last at Bluesfest on July 4, 2008 - so they should all be taken with a grain of salt ...

Let the show begin! Barthelemy Attisso had a thriving legal career in his homeland of Togo but decided to pick up the guitar again (he still keeps his law practice running, though). Charlie Ndiaye is possibly the fellow on bass. And I feel fairly confident in saying lead singer Rudy Gomis is the guy in the hat.



Unless I'm totally off my head, Issa Cissoko is the guy pointing out an amusing audience member. He's a bit fuzzy in this shot, but the rhythm guitarist is Lafti Benjeloun of Morrocco.



More Issa!



I'm guessing that Balla Sidibe is the chap taking a turn on the microphone at right, while Assane Mboup is at left.



And now I'm just going to say "And so on!"









Whole lotta movin'!





Not as rollicking as some of the Afropop shows I've been to, but certainly one of the sharpest musically.

No comments: