Monday, November 24, 2008

Let there be light

I was in the mood for another helping of guitar rock Sunday night, so I went off to Mavericks to see Vancouver punks Living With Lions, Detroit's Fireworks and local band The Brights. Yes, it's contemporary melodic punk - not normally my thing - but I've heard nothing but good things about LWL and Brights, and Fireworks come from Detroit, so how bad could they be? The answer: Not too bad, but no competition for Beach Blankets and Holy Cobras the night before.

I had a dinner date so arrived too late for Barriers, the Montreal band who opened the evening, but did manage to catch the last two songs from Brights. They did sound pretty good for all four minutes or so I heard, and their drummer certainly motors things along nicely.


Brights, Mavericks, November 23, 2008

I enjoyed Fireworks too, mostly as a photographer: There was lots of jumping! It was good pop punk, somewhat hindered by lead singer Dave McKinder being a bit under the weather.


Fireworks, Mavericks, November 23, 2008

Finally Living With Lions. I thought they were kind of conventional. Not bad, but damned if I can remember a lyric or melody (although that's my brain's fault).


Living With Lions, Mavericks, November 23, 2008

I've spent $10 on worse things, but at the end I was sort of thinking I should have gone to Zaphod's and checked out The Birthday Boys instead. Oh well!

No comments: