Friday, July 31, 2009

The big dump

Back when I started doing National Capital Rock, I was using a Pentax Super ME. With 36 shots on a roll of 800 ISO film it wasn't that hard to slap up the handful of workable photos along with my usual witless banter.

The Suppositories at Gaga Weekend
The Suppositories, Yogi's Meatlocker, July 13, 2009

Nowadays I'm using a Nikon D90 (my Olympus is kept in reserve), and as many a snapper will attest the tendency to shoot vast number of photos means I end up with loads that never see the light of day. More to the point, I'm still using the same old creaky computer I was in 2005 and it doesn't shift ye olde files around as fast as I'd like. Thus, I've upgraded my Flickr account to pro and have begun downloading photos there en masse. I've already slapped up a big selection from the Gaga Weekend shows at Babylon, Yogi's Meatlocker, 854 Bronson and the Atomic Rooster. If things go according to plan they'll soon be joined by a vast outpouring of Bluesfest snaps. Hooray. Speaking of the Gaga Weekend, here's the last few photos from Yogi's Meatlocker, a performance by Toronto's School Jerks. I'm still not sure which ones are Luke, Ben, Matt and Ivan, so once again here's a bunch of photos ...

Shouting action! And the least surprising T-shirt ever!

School Jerks at Gaga Weekend

Guitar action! And the second-least surprising T-shirt ever!

School Jerks at Gaga Weekend

Drumming action!

School Jerks at Gaga Weekend

More shouting, guitaring, and T-shirts!

School Jerks at Gaga Weekend

School Jerks at Gaga Weekend

School Jerks at Gaga Weekend

As you can see, the crowd was starting to thin out as people drifted off to dinner and to steal themselves for the evening's entertainment at Babylon. It was still big enough to mosh about though. After almost being shoved into the glass door of the Meatlocker's second practice space I decided to head home myself. My gear needed some serious recharging, anyway. As for The School Jerks, they're in Montreal tonight playing Friendship Cove - a U.S. tour also looms.

No comments: