Thursday, July 30, 2009

While the getting's good

I wasn't particularly fascinated by the prospect of going to see Got To Get Got when the listing popped up online. The band was promoted as including members of North of America, a group I saw when they opened for Ted Leo and The Pharmacists in October 2005. I really only recall Ted and Co.'s performance from that gig, but decided to check out Got To Get Got's music online. Good thing too, since I found it far more compelling than North of America's. Thus, I walked over to Mavericks for 9 p.m. to see and hear what could be seen and heard.

The opener was Kris Ward. The Rebel Year member hasn't played a solo show for a while. His singing reminds me of someone I can't place but like, while his guitar playing reminds me of Robert Montgomery, a very good thing in my book. That said, he seemed a somewhat incongruous opener for the more frenetic touring bands. He also invited up a pal to sing on a version of The Beatles In My Life. They muffed the first take ... a little more practice next time, folks.


Kris Ward, Mavericks, July 29, 2009

Next up were Germans. The band has been on hiatus for about a year and a half, they say. I was contemplating the pair of synthesizers with Mike Sheridan prior to their set. "This could be a good thing or a bad thing," he noted. "We could be in for a spellbinding evening of DAF covers," I replied. Actually the band sounded like a combo of fractured arena rock (a la Guided By Voices), synth pop and The Cure minus Robert Smith's distinctive vocals.


Germans, Mavericks, July 29, 2009

The Got To Get Got are the new band from Mark Mullane, formerly of North of America. The band's a well-staffed affair with a keyboardist, cellist and violinist in addition to the two guitarists, bassist and drummer. Lineup aside, they reminded me a bit of Jetplanes of Abraham. Someone joked in the lead up to the show they would only attend if they played a Q And Not U cover. "Three of us know it ... four of sort of know it ..." Mullane joked before launching into a tune (which I didn't recognize, not being a QANU fan).


The Got To Get Got, Mavericks, July 29, 2009

I also bought their new album Sahalee and it's quite good.

No comments: