Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The measured approach

At previous Bluesfests there usually seemed to be some act I'd never seen but sounded interesting playing at the same time as acts that I had caught before, but figured I could skip this time around. That didn't happen as frequently at this Bluesfest, which either indicates I've seen a whole lot more music than I thought, or the folks at Bluesfest are booking the same acts again. I've certainly seen and enjoyed both Ryan Shaw and Metric before. Since I knew I was going to see Iron & Wine later I decided to go and see Metric -again - at the Rogers Stage, if only because they were closer.

James Shaw breaks out the Theremin.

Metric at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Emily Haines seemed a bit more cheerful this time around, and she upgraded her outfit from the hoodie-wearing street urchin look she sported when I caught the band in 2007.

Metric at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Ray Winstead mans the low end.

Metric at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Hair-shaking action!

Metric at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Tambourining action!

Metric at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Face-to-face action!

Metric at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

The whole lot!

Metric at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

James gets to yell some too.

Metric at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

You have to give Haines credit for really throwing herself into her performance.

Metric at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Bass-lifting action!

Metric at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009


Run for your life!

Metric at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Emily gets her axe.

Metric at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Guitar action!

Metric at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Clapping action!

Metric at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

After a couple of final festival dates - Sonic Boom and Bumbershoot - they're off to Australia for a few weeks of touring. After about 40 minutes of their fine set I headed back to the Subway Stage to see Iron & Wine ... but it wouldn't be the last I heard of Metric.

No comments: