Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Home improvement

I first saw Becky Abbot at Bluesfest in 2005. The billed performer then was oft-touring blues rocker David Gogo, joined on stage by Abbot and Tony D. Come to think of it, it was the last time I saw her too. Another first, a photo was my introduction to telephoto lens, a 210mm I bought for my Pentax back in the days of film. Here is that photo, taken July 12, 2005:



And now here is my first picture of Becky at her 2009 show on the Main Stage, taken four years and four days later, to be precise. As you can see my skills have improved somewhat (also the lighting was better).

Becky Abbot at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

I don't recognize any of her band ...

Becky Abbot at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

... apart from guitarist Dan Hay, also seen with Crush Buildings, strangely enough (I also hear the bassists's name is Alan).

Becky Abbot at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

More Becky!

Becky Abbot at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Hair-tossing action!

Becky Abbot at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

More hair-tossing action!

Becky Abbot at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Dancin' action!

Becky Abbot at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Drumming action!

Becky Abbot at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Gripping action!

Becky Abbot at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

And so on.

Becky Abbot at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Her sultry pop take on the ouevre of Lucinda Williams and Neko Case (among others) is not really my bag, so after a few songs I went off to see Louisiana Red. She's performing this Friday at the National Arts Centre as a "special guest" of the Downchild Blues Band's 40th anniversary celebration.

No comments: