Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Dream beginning

Ottawa Bluesfest apparently decided to start this year's edition off in a metal mood, with Dream Theatre and Iron Maiden sharing the main stage. I pedalled over around 6 p.m. Unlike previous years, where here was a big lineup to contend with, I got in almost as soon as I had my bicycle squared away. I'm thinking the atrocious heat and humidity may have had something to do with the amount of later arrivals.

The ball entertains the crowd while it waits for Dream Theatre.

Dream Theater at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Ball at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 6, 2010

I managed to get pretty close to Dream Theater, who started things off on the main stage. Not really my type of metal, but a pretty sharp act for those who enjoy the more technical aspects of the form, and singer James LaBrie's voice was in excellent form. This also marked the first time someone introduced a song - Panic Attack, in this case - saying "You may have played this in Rockband 2."

Dream Theater at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Dream Theater at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 6,  2010

After that I went to see a pit of Loudlove, since they put on such a great set the last time I saw them at Bluesfest. They sounded good but hadn't quite hit their stride by the time I decided to go and see what was happening on the Subway Stage.

Loudlove at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Loudlove at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 6,  2010

Kelp Records was hosting the Subway Stage's evening shows. I got to see the end of Andrew Vincent's set and the beginning of Chris Page's.

Andrew Vincent at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Andrew Vincent at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 6, 2010

Chris Page at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Chris Page at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 6, 2010

After a few songs from Chris it was time to head back to see Iron Maiden and their colossal lighting rig in action. They also had a backdrop that changed for each song, including their upcoming album, represented by a single track Eldorado. They mostly stuck to the last three albums, but did get around to Iron Maiden, Hallowed Be Thy Name and Number of The Beast. They also dedicated Blood Brothers to the late Ronnie James Dio. The crowd was really into it, screaming along at Bruce Dickinson's request.

Iron Maiden at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Iron Maiden at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 6, 2010

Iron Maiden at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Iron Maiden at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 6, 2010

I confess I didn't stick around for all of Maiden's set, largely because my back was killing me and I had to sit down, but also because I wanted to see what was going on at the Kelp Records showcase. After a battle between the Empiricals and The Flaps, various folks on the Kelp roster came up to sings songs backed by the two combos.

Empiricals vs. The Flats at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
The Empiricals at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 6, 2010

The Flaps plan how to retaliate.

Empiricals vs. The Flats at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
The Flaps at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 6, 2010

Flecton Big Sky sings a tune.

Kelp Records Revue at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Flecton Big Sky at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 6, 2010

Rolf Klausener sings, gets a little carried away.

Kelp Records Revue at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Rolf Klausener at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 6, 2010

Nearsighted Mike Dubue finishes things off with a blues jam.

Kelp Records Revue at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Mike Dubue at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 6, 2010

Then I went home and felt awful because I got a bit broiled by the sun. Today I'm going to keep the hat on, people's view be damned.

No comments: