Sunday, March 13, 2011

Let's dance

Last time I saw yesterday's headliners, they were space rockers just emerging from the shadow of The Besnard Lakes. They gone quite strongly in a dance direction. In fact, when I walked into Mavericks fellow photog Ming Wu told me "I didn't expect you at a dance party!" Hmm, am I becoming typecast? Anyway, the other two acts on the bill I hadn't sen before, and were quite entertaining in their own right.

First off were locals Loon Choir, who seem to have taken over the space previously occupied by Jetplanes of Abraham ... maybe it's just singer-keyboardist Nikki Yates' extra percussion setup. She finished things off by jumping into the audience.

Loon Choir at Mavericks
Loon Choir at Mavericks, March 12, 2011

I distinctly heard someone say "That chick is hardcore!"

Loon Choir at Mavericks
Loon Choir at Mavericks, March 12, 2011

The crowd went completely nuts for Bravestation; like Loon Choir before them they seemed quite pleased with the audience's enthusiastic embrace. Maybe it was all the 1980s music playing (my, it's strange seeing folks singing along to tunes they could have been conceived to) but they had me thinking of singer-bassist Devin Wilson's uncanny vocal resemblance to The Chameleons' Mark Burgess.

Bravestation at Mavericks
Bravestation at Mavericks, March 12, 2011

Those Wilson brothers.

Bravestation at Mavericks
Bravestation at Mavericks, March 12, 2011

Young Galaxy played a sharp set, not too long perhaps in deference to singer Catherine McCandless being noticeably preggers. She was an effective stage prowler nonetheless, and her voice was really in top form. My only knock is that their light show was a bit of a dud. I guess the plan was to wear white against a white background and have a projector colour things in. Didn't really work - the projector wasn't up to snuff. Otherwise, a super set.

Young Galaxy at Mavericks
Young Galaxy at Mavericks, March 12, 2011 

I kept trying for a setting I liked .. wasn't really happening.

Young Galaxy at Mavericks
Young Galaxy at Mavericks, March 12, 2011

Three fine bands and about the most enthusiastic crowd I've seen in some time.
  • Show reminder: Black Mastiff and Monic play Cafe Dekcuf; there's a benefit for the Humane Society at the Mercury Lounge with Tanya Janca, Courtney Thorman, Lauren Cauchy and Annelise Petlock. The Elmdale hosts Santa Clara and Laurell.

No comments: