Thursday, April 28, 2011

Evening star

Looking about for something to do last night, I stumbled over The Treasures. The Toronto outlaw country syle band were sharing a bill with Laurent Bourque, who I've seen and enjoyed before opening for Old Crowns at Mavericks, and Sam Bradley who has been enjoying some success in the pop-soul-folk genre thanks to his inclusion as a cowriter of one of the tunes on the Twilight soundtrack (although the movies are alleged to be atrocious, the music selection doesn't seem half-bad). However, I mostly marched off to Cafe DeKcuf on the merits of The Treasures' Tried So Hard.

Laurent was already up an running when I got in the door. Last time I saw him he was accompanied by Jamie Kronick - this time he was truly solo, and sounding quite good. He did have to compete with the loud rumble coming from the all-ages punk rock show coming from downstairs - "I told the promoter I should be on that bill," he joked.

Laurent Bourque at Cafe DeKcuf
Laurent Bourque at Cafe DeKcuf, April 27, 2011

As for The Treasures, this is their  first trip to Ottawa, which they seemed to enjoy. I can think of a bunch of local acts they should get on a bill with for their promised return (The John Henrys would suit just fine). They certainly lived up to my advance listening.

The Treasures of Cafe DeKcuf
The Treasures at Cafe DeKcuf, April 27, 2011

The Treasures of Cafe DeKcuf
The Treasures at Cafe DeKcuf, April 27, 2011

Finally Sam Bradley closed things off with a set that made me think of J.J. Grey and Mofro, who also blend folk, rock and soul, albeit with a far more southern, swampy feel.He has a very adept backing band in guitarist John Notto, drummer Mark Kerrey (also responsible for some of the songwriting) and bassist Jeff Riedlinger. Perhaps the convivial feeling was due to about half the audience being family members: "My grandfather is here, my mom, my cousins ... my dog, my cat ..." he joked between songs.

Sam Bradley at Cafe DeKcuf
Sam Bradley at Cafe DeKcuf, April 27, 2011

And a less-flashy photo.

Sam Bradley at Cafe DeKcuf
Sam Bradley at Cafe DeKcuf, April 27, 2011

A pleasant way to spend an evening.

No comments: