Friday, July 08, 2011

Bluesfest 2011: Day 3

Thursday was a promising day for Bluesfest: Some local acts I like to start things off, some good acts in between and a main-stage headliner I could at least tolerate.

First off were The Ornaments, who were playing a ferocious set on the Claridge Homes Stage when I walked in.

Ornaments
Ornaments at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 7, 2011

Then I went to refill my water bottle - the water stations are finally up and running - and did a circuit of the other stages, starting with the Subway Stage where Big Jeezus Truck were putting on a usually rocking set with plenty of jumping and running about. Thy had quite a sizable crowd for early in the day.

Big Jeezus Truck at Bluesfest
Big Jeezus Truck at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 7, 2011

There was a bit too much guitar-weedling going on at the Hard Rock Stage from Down By Ashes, so I passed by quickly to catch a few songs from Ukrainia at the National Bank Stage. As you'd expect there were several familiar faces in the crowd, plus guest cowbell.

Ukrainia at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Ukrainia at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 7, 2011

The main act I was hoping to see was P.S. I Love You, who put on a smoking set at Mavericks earlier this year, but with time to ill I went over to the Hard Rock Stage to watch some of The Jimmy Bowskill Band's set. They're an old school blues rock power trio. I quite enjoy folks like Cream, Ultra and so on, and was very impressed by their set.

Jimmy Bowskill Band at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Jimmy Bowskill Band at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 7, 2011

Then back to see P.S. I Love You. I'm sorry to say I didn't enjoy them as much as I did at Mavericks. Something was awry about the singing, I guess.

PS I Love You at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
P.S. I Love You at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 7, 2011

Since everyone raves about Girl Talk's set at Bluesfest last year, I figured I'd go and see what was up over at the Claridge Stage again. He certainly had the crowd dancing and throwing their hands in the air like they just don't care. I like plenty of the tunes he clips for his set from my 1980s' listening ... not sure why I wouldn't want to listen to the original instead ... on the other hand, they're was a lot more confetti, soaring toilet paper and dancing people this time around.

Girl Talk at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Girl Talk at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 7, 2011

After that, it was time for a bit to eat (during which I heard the tail end of The Sheepdogs' rocking set), a brief bit of extreme panic when I thought I'd lost my keys to the apartment and a quick return to see a good chunk of Steve Miller's set. The guy's certainly a skilled pro with a great band, and I absorbed enough of his tunes listening to classic rock radio in my misbegotten youth to get a nice fuzzy feeling of nostalgia.

Steve Miller Band at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Steve Miller Band at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 7, 2011

A nice easygoing day at the festival (apart from the panic, that is).
  • Show reminder: ...From the Deep, Shotgun Cure, Descendant and Criticull rock Cafe DeKcuf; Vevet Trench Vibe and Commodore 84 are at Zaphod's; Eric Tesserner performs at The Rainbow; Garaga and The Mnemonics return the volume to Irene's; The Peptides pop in at The Elmdale. Kintra, Solus, Goldie Luxx and Falstaff play loud at the Avant-Garde Bar.

No comments: