Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Crossed paths

I've been a lontime admirer of great Canadian pop sensations Sloan - I have all their albums, including the doube live. And yet, despite their many shows in town, I've never had a chance to see them live. Fortunately for once I was off work on a night when they played town. Hopefully I won't wait another 20 years for the next one.

Opening up were Teenage Kicks, who seem like a decent bunch of guitar crunch loving popsters, though I have to say nothing particularly stuck in my mind. Then again, it was a fairly short set.

Teenage Kicks at Mavericks
Teenage Kicks at Mavericks, October 4, 2011

They actually have three guitarists, but the other guy was standing off to the right where there isn't any lighting.

Teenage Kicks at Mavericks
Teenage Kicks at Mavericks, October 4, 2011

After a good half-hour of stage preparation, Sloan launched into a lengthy set covering each of their albums (though they had to keep themselves to only a song from of them plus a few from their latest, The Double Cross. Needless to say Mavericks was pretty packed for their show with their singalong-loving fans. Here's Patrick and Chris.

Sloan at Mavericks
Sloan at Mavericks, October 4, 2011

Jay Ferguson rocks the semi-hollowbody, while native Ottawa Andrew Scott is visible behind on the drums.

Sloan at Mavericks.
Sloan at Mavericks, October 4, 2011

Hopefully I won't wait another 20 years for the next one. They're off to Kingston tonight.

No comments: