Saturday, March 03, 2012

Down by the river

I went to Cafe DeKcuf last night to see some roots music, headlined by 90 Pounds of Ugly and featuring two acts who I've seen around either playing in bands or in the crowd at other shows.

I met Jack Pine at the latest House of Targ show, if memory serves. He usually plays with his band as Jack Pine & The Fire (and will do so next Sunday at the Black Sheep Inn), but on this occasion he was going solo, and doing a fine job on some mountain music style tunes. He played Doc Watson's Walk On, Boy.

Jack Pine at Cafe DeKcuf
Jack Pine at Cafe DeKcuf, March 2, 2012

Mandolin action!

Jack Pine at Cafe DeKcuf
Jack Pine at Cafe DeKcuf, March 2, 2012

The Bank Robbers Union plays some roughed up old-style country. There may have been some pre-show drinking, if stage banter is to be believed. Here's Kalamity Kay and Brother Cletus.

Bank Robbers Union at Cafe DeKcuf
Bank Robbers Union at Cafe DeKcuf, March 2, 2012

Two-Guns plays the guitar. Standup Steve was also there, but I didn't get a good photo of him.

Bank Robbers Union at Cafe DeKcuf
Bank Robbers Union at Cafe DeKcuf, March 2, 2012

The Ugly ones impressed me when I saw them at The Rainbow with Morgan Friend and Ol Savannah, and did just fine this time around too.

90 Pounds of Ugly At Cafe DeKcuf
90 Pounds of Ugly At Cafe DeKcuf, March 2, 2012

Here's Steve, playing two sets in a row - he's playing again tonight, I'm guessing, since it's his stag and doe at the Elmdale and scads of bands are each doing a few songs to help raise some nuptial cash.

90 Pounds of Ugly At Cafe DeKcuf
90 Pounds of Ugly At Cafe DeKcuf, March 2, 2012

A solid evening of inebriated banter and Americana, but I had to leave a bit early since frankly I was feeling wiped out.

No comments: