Saturday, May 12, 2012

Stranger and stranger

I wandered over to Mavericks last night to watch a lineup that was a little off the beaten path. I listen to a fair amount of peculiar music, so Xiu Xiu, Father Murphy and Dirty Beaches aren't doing anything likely to baffle me (particularly since I own work by all three, and have seen Xiu Xiu before anyway), but they still qualify as something a bit different.

First up, Father Murphy, an Italian trio who apparently played their set without a break (I arrived too late to catch the beginning). Their music splits the difference between oddball (and perhaps tongue-in-cheek) and avant-garde. I saw some giggling in the crowd, and also a lot of rapt attention. Actually, I'd say the crowd was the most attentive I've seen in recent memory for all three acts.

Father Murphy at Mavericks
Father Murphy at Mavericks, May 11, 2012

Stylophonic action!

Father Murphy at Mavericks
Father Murphy at Mavericks, May 11, 2012

Then came Xiu Xiu, who I believe were supposed to headline. Mainman Jamie Stewart was gargling something from a couple of cups, making me wonder if something was up with his throat to stop him from playing a fuller set. As usual the music was fraught with the weight of trauma, emotional torture and physical deformity.

Xiu Xiu at Mavericks
Xiu Xiu at Mavericks, May 11, 2012

At least he cheered things up at the end with a cover of Suicide's Frankie Teardrop.

Xiu Xiu at Mavericks
Xiu Xiu at Mavericks, May 11, 2012

Dirty Beaches rounded things off with a short set that seemed a bit laid-back - then again, most stuff would after Xiu Xiu. I find Alex Zhang Hungtai's reverbed crossbreed of kosmiche rhythms and 50s rock styles entertaining, though it seems so closely targeted at what I like I may be a bit inured to the combination.

Dirty Beaches at Mavericks
Dirty Beaches at Mavericks, May 11, 2012

Pretty cool stuff anyway.

Dirty Beaches at Mavericks
Dirty Beaches at Mavericks, May 11, 2012  

The whole lot are off to play Toronto tonight at Lee's Palace.

No comments: