Sunday, August 26, 2012

Urban foliage

I could have had a very busy time yesterday with gigs starting in the afternoon and partying on through the night, but flood reparations are still taking up a bit of my time. Thus, my only showgoing Saturday night was at Zaphod's for some indie music on the sensitive end of the spectrum, headlined by Fargo, North Dakota's Secret Cities. I get the impression there was bit of a scramble to find appropriate opening bands, since the bill was "Secret Cities and guests." I'm told that two acts were rounded up, but I only got there in time for Tall Trees set.

This is a young band, and I don't just mean in relation to my own grizzled years. I'm not sure the entire lineup could legally drink. They made me think of Jeff Buckley, an impression helped by the fact that unlike a lot of singers, main vocalist Jad Hammoud has a strong set of pipes.

Tall Trees at Zaphod Beeblebrox
Tall Trees at Zaphod Beeblebrox, August 25, 2012

The rhythm section of bassist Peter Klaassen and Josh Wynnyk is none too shabby either.

Tall Trees at Zaphod Beeblebrox
Tall Trees at Zaphod Beeblebrox, August 25, 2012

I thought Secret Cities also played an excellent set. They're a bit twee, and with the male-female singing some people might lump them in with folks like Belle & Sebastian (which is no insult). I personally was reminded of a couple of my favourite bands, Shearwater and Antlers. Extra point for keyboardist M.J. Parker's Olivia Tremor Control T-shirt. Drummer Alex Abnos also sometimes rocks the electric uke.

Secret Cities at Zaphod Beeblebrox
Secret Cities at Zaphod Beeblebrox, August 25, 2012

We'll forgive guitarist/bassist Charlie Gokey for his brief confusion between Toronto and Ottawa, since he praises our "mighty castles."

Secret Cities at Zaphod Beeblebrox
Secret Cities at Zaphod Beeblebrox, August 25, 2012

A pleasantly low-key night. Unfortunately the attendance wasn't too great ... the curse of Saturdays during cottage season, to say nothing of Capital Pride and other draws.

No comments: