Thursday, November 01, 2012

Experiment in progress

I have missed many shows I should have attended due to the siren call of work, but in terms of never seeming to have time off at the right time, my continued ability to miss out on the first season of the Experimental Music Wednesdays really takes the cake. Fortunately my two days off a week fall on Wednesday-Thursday with more regularity than the once did, so yesterday I actually made it out to Pressed for a sandwich and some altered state sounds. I only took a few photos of the opening act Matt Morel, because it was really too dark for any real snapping and I didn't feel like breaking out the flash.

Here's Morel, doing a bit of twin guitar feedback. There was also some keyboard work, and a cello duet with wolf howl recordings. He was dressed up for Halloween in a green cap with flashing bulbs on top - I like to think he was supposed to be Hypnotoad from Futurama.

Matt Morel at Pressed
Matt Morel at Pressed, October 31, 2012

He was followed by Decomposing Pianos, who accompanied their lovely piece with some visuals, including photos of people tied to each of the 88 keys according to their age. I didn't take a picture, but here's a clip from a Kingston show.


Decomposing Pianos in Kingston, August 10, 2010

And here's the 88 Years piece, which makes use of their Interactive Tone Generator.



Hard Science (a duo which includes Arturo from My Dad vs. Yours) then played some electronic stuff that the considerable crowd (well, more than 30 people, which is pretty good for Pressed). Hats off to Adam Saikaley (of Silkken Laumann, etc.), for a swell job as organizer.

No comments: