Thursday, November 08, 2012

Other shores

Experimental Music Wednesdays are coming to an end (last night's was the second to last), but they seem to draw a big crowd - I had a hard time finding a table to eat my curried lamb sandwich at. For this evening the admittedly less experimental-than-usual find the others came up from Toronto to share the stage with Kingdom Shore.

Find The Others started things off with some video-abetted pop music that put me in mind of Shearwater and The Books. Here's guitarist Alan Sheppard.

Find The Others at Pressed
Find The Others at Pressed, November 7, 2012

And not the best photo of drummer Mark.

Find The Others at Pressed
Find The Others at Pressed, November 7, 2012

I haven't had a chance to see Kingdom Shore before now, though I have seen part of their lineup (Ryan Hough of Golden Famile and Nathan Medema of If Then Do and j'envoie) in other projects, and many years ago I think I saw mainman Mark Molnar play a solo set at Bumpers (perhaps I just imagined it). Anyway, I enjoyed their album, which I bought back in 2007 at Sounds Unlikely. For those unfamiliar, they're a string quartet with a couple of electronics men along for the ride. Not so many photo opportunities during their frenzy and drone, but everyone stayed pretty still (at least in this shot).

Kingdom Shore at Pressed
Kingdom Shore at Pressed, November 7, 2012

A most intriguing night.

No comments: