Saturday, July 06, 2013

Ottawa Bluesfest 2013: Day 2

Well, they warned us it was going to rain today, and by George they were right. It was coming down quite heavily there for a few minutes, leading to the unfortunate realization that my regular brolly has a few rips and tears I hadn't noticed earlier. Things didn't look too bad when I arrived at LeBreton Flats. Overcast, yes, but nothing to trouble the mind as I caught a few minutes of Sarah Jean & The Wild Vines.

They're a local outfit, with a lot of country and some very vocals courtesy of Sarah Jean McClurg and Samantha-Marie Timmins.

Sarah Jean & The Wild Vines at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Sarah Jean & The Wild Vines at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 5, 2013

Then it was over to the River Stage for a pre-Camera Obscura drenching. Yes I got yet, but after bracing both rain and cold to see Wanda Jackson last year, I'll be darned if I let the elements get the better of me (apart from lightning - I never was good with electricity ...). After a quarterhour delay the Scottish pop combo took the stage. "This is what you get for inviting Glaswegians," they informed the crowd.

Camera Obscura at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Camera Obscura at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013, July 5, 2013

They weathered the downpour with good cheer and some extra protection. "We don't mind if we get electrocuted, but the gear is precious."

Camera Obscura at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Camera Obscura at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 5, 2013

A smashing set. After that I went over to see Garland Jeffreys, who's a through-and-through New York rocker. His set crossed between rock'n'roll, blues and reggae, with what sounded to me like some vocal improvising from Mr. Jeffreys; it was loose but good.

Garland Jeffreys at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Garland Jeffreys at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 5, 2013

I returned to the River Stage to see the tail end of Dawes' set, which was getting a very good reception from the crowd.

Dawes at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Dawes at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 5, 2013

Then there was some thumb-twiddling while waiting for She & Him. I caught M. Ward's Bluesfest set a few years back and quite enjoyed it. I didn't note it at the time, but he had one of his stage crew guys signalling photographers to stop taking pictures. Apparently the man also known as Him is still camera-shy because there was a pre-show announcement asking people not to take photos. Good luck with that, chum, since the She in question is Zooey Deschanel. I noticed the photographers' pit was well-stocked with local newspaper snappers. I guess Zac Brown isn't as photogenic as Ms. Deschanel.

She & Him at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
She & Him at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 5, 2013

I also wanted to check out Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters - might as well hear some blues at the Bluesfest while they're still booking it. He's the man with the guitar. I didn't catch sax-man Eddie Shaw's set so I'm not sure if that's him on the 'phone, but I have my suspicions! Jeffreys will be performing in the Barney Danson Theatre tonight.

Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters
Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 5, 2013

I was beginning to get a bit footsore - wet socks will do that to you, and wasn't feeling musically compelled to stay, so I did one final swing past the main stage to see what was up with Zac Brown and company. They were covering Enter Sandman by Metallica when I arrived, and sounding pretty good, though I'm not sure the wah-pedalled violin really adds anything to the original. One thing I definitely noticed: They must have turned up the sound system, because it was way louder than it was for the Black Keys the previous night.

Zac Brown Band at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Zac Brown Band at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 5, 2013

Today I'm looking forward to checking out Camp Radio, Belle & Sebastien, Fitz & The Tantrums, Cold Specks, Amadou & Mariam and Neko Case.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Yup, that's Eddie Shaw in the picture. That's who I was seeing in the rain and he put on a great show.