Sunday, April 20, 2014

Power in darkness

Well, I had planned to spend a good chunk of my weekend at the House of Targ. Unfortunately just about everyone on the Ottawa music scene made the same plans, and implemented them before I did. When I cruised past the House of Targ at 10 p.m. Thursday night, the line was a good block long. No PUP for me! I also held off on Friday, instead going over to Cafe DeKcuf to check out New York's Blackout and Loviatar (the show started earlier than I expected, so I missed out on Spilt Guts).

The Brooklyn trio deal in a sludgy doom not unlike EyeHateGod. Here's bassist Justin Sherrell (also of heavy psyche combo Bezoar, where he plays drums).

Blackout at Cafe DeKcuf

Christian Gordy frets!

Blackout at Cafe DeKcuf

Taryn Waldman hits!

Blackout at Cafe DeKcuf

The whole heavy lot!

Blackout at Cafe DeKcuf

Christian sings!

Blackout at Cafe DeKcuf

Hair-flipping action!

Blackout at Cafe DeKcuf

Extra Justin!

Blackout at Cafe DeKcuf

A shouty bit!

Blackout at Cafe DeKcuf

On to Loviatar, who, like Blackout, had some new material to show off. Here's Justin, pushing things into the red with a bit of feedback.

Loviatar at Cafe DeKcuf

Grimacing action!

Loviatar at Cafe DeKcuf

Stringed action with Mike Bond and Shane Whitbread!

Loviatar at Cafe DeKcuf

More Mike!

Loviatar at Cafe DeKcuf

Finnish action!

Loviatar at Cafe DeKcuf

J.P. hits!

Loviatar at Cafe DeKcuf

The whole lot!

Loviatar at Cafe DeKcuf

They'll be in action again on Mother's Day (a.k.a. May 11) when they open for Kvelertak.

No comments: